Nov 29, 2010

A Dangerous Mishap.

I was on my way home last night with my horse and a friend who needed a ride back also. We were doing great, making good time, when it happened.
I hit a huge bump in the road that I could not avoid. The trailer jostled violently, made a loud booming noise, and before I knew it there were sparks flying between the truck and trailer. I got off at the nearest exit and parked.
I got out of the truck carefully, and found my trailer off of the ball on the truck, with the hitching part underneath the truck. Also, the wheel that our trailer parks on was grinded down to 3/4ths of a wheel.
My friend Taylor had this happen to her before, so I felt a little better about it. We decided to try and hitch up the trailer again. We found rocks to put behind the wheels. I was not under any circumstance going to unhook the safety chains from the truck.
After many short and slow forwards and backwards, we finally got it hitchable. By that time the police had arrived (Taylor's mom called). We hitched it on, and discovered the problem. The coupler lock was loose and missing a piece. This caused the coupler to easily pop off of the ball.
With the policemen's help, we basically tied down the lock to where it wouldn't come loose. However, we did not trust it. We decided to make our way up the road in search of a wire coat hanger to use.
We wired it shut, and found out that all but our trailer's brake lights were not working. Something must have been pulled loose. Awesome. At this point, I was ready to just go with it.
Finally getting home, we parked it and unloaded Cabella. By the way, she was doing awesome through all of this. I couldn't ask for better.
In spite of all this, I am glad that we were all okay, and we made it home. God really did take care of me through all of this. I give him praise.
Leslie Alexander

1 comment:

  1. Glad ya'll are okay. Sounds like you could have flipped your poor horse down the highway. That would have been tragic. And wire hangers always do the trick!

    ReplyDelete